Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Best. Job. Ever. (For me)

I've worked at The Art of Problem Solving for a while now (since I graduated high school, basically.) And today kind of reminded me about one of the things I really like about the job.

I can work from anywhere, as long as there is internet.

Reason? I was heading to my dad's because of sibling birthdays (yay two of my siblings finish yet another journey around the sun, one today and one tomorrow.) And I knew that I worked today, 1:30-4:30 assisting the American Mathematics Competition (AMC) 10 special seminar. The first train of the day gets me to the station where dad would pick me up around 1-1:10pm, which is cutting it a bit close to get home by 1:20 when I really should be logged into the classroom by, or even 1:30 when class actually starts.

But! I could get on the train anyways, because even if I was still at the train station when class time rolled around (and I was,) as long as I could get to internet it was OK. Plus, I knew from another one of my sisters that there's a Starbucks right near the station, with internet. Woo, internet.

So yes, I can get stuck somewhere unexpected for a couple hours while I teach wherever I have internet, but I can risk that happening because as long as I have internet, I can work.

I can go out and not need to worry too much about where I'll be, as long as I know there's internet. And there's internet lots of places now.

Yay things that mean I 1) don't need to leave the house if I don't want to, and 2) can go wherever and not worry too much.

Plus they know I'm Autistic and their response to finding out (I outed myself officially when I wanted to check if it was cool for me to talk to a reporter type person about the ways working there was good/not good as an Autistic person, but quite a few of the instructors I worked with already knew) was that they were also interested in those answers. That's generally a decent sign.

And also math. Because math is one of my favorite things (see also: math major.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.