Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Autistic Eagle Survey

Autistic Eagle did a survey thing over on Tumblr.
And I'm going to answer here because why not?

  1. Are you autistic?
    Yes.
  2. Do you know autistic people socially?
    Yup. I was friends with Lydia of Autistic Hoya back in high school, actually before either of us were in activisty stuff. I'm also friends with an autistic person on my university campus. There was also another Autistic person in one of my girl scout troops, who I am still friends with. And then there are all the Autistic people where we are sometimes social and sometimes activisty and sometimes both at once. That's a pretty long list.
  3. When did you get your diagnosis (if diagnosed)?
    I was nineteen. My 1 year anniversary of diagnosis is coming up. (Differences in presentation in girls+ "gifted kids are weird" made it take a lot longer.)
  4. What is your genetic gender. Remember, this is optional. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. XX, I assume. I never actually had my chromosomes checked, but I haven't got the phenotype for any of the chromosomal abnormalities I've heard of. So XX seems like a safe bet.
  5. What gender identity do you identify as?
    Good question. I'm still trying to figure out if agender or androgyne fits better. Some days agender fits better. Some days androgyne fits better. Maybe I'm a bit fluid?
  6. What sexual orientation label, if any, do you apply to yourself?
    Gray-ace, pan-romantic I think. I dunno. Sex and gender are complicated. Maybe I should go with "I'm Queer" and leave it at that.
  7. Have you ever  experienced depression that was not linked directly to autism?
    Nope.
  8. Have you ever had a meltdown in a public place that was almost entirely or entirely populated by strangers?
    Yup. Train station. In Shanghai. Alone. I was sixteen. Did you know that Chinese sticks around longer under stress than English does, at least for me?
  9. Did you ever attend a school for children with mental conditions (that is, in lieu of going to a more traditional school)?
    Nope. I was always mainstreamed, never in any kind of special school or special education. Closest thing was a social group thing one hour a week in high school, 10th and 11th grade. I quit when it and chorus moved to the same time slot.
  10. Do you parents or grandparents have any mental conditions (not including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or the like unless they were early-onset)?
    My parents are not diagnosed with anything mental. My grandparents are not diagnosed with anything mental. My mother's sister had a range of things, and it is likely that she was autistic. I've written about her before. My mother's father is also likely autistic. As was his mother and his mother's sister. And some other folks I won't mention specifically.
  11. What is your favourite food?
    Either olives or pizza. I think. Or maybe the falafel wraps with everything I can get on campus.
  12. What is your favourite season?
    Probably summer because swimming. And not school, which means more time for Autistic obsessions.
  13. What are your special interests and when did you pick them up as special interests?
    Currently autism and nanotechnology. Nanotech has built up slowly to special interest status since I was about 10, autism is within the last two years or so. Math was my longest running one, and I still love it, but it seems to have run its course as an Autistic Obsession and is now just a thing I like. (Yes, there is a difference.)
  14. Have you ever collected something, such as stamps, coins, ticket stubs etc?
    I was a coin collector for a while. I've also got a box of clovers with 4+ leaflets.
  15. What is the longest time you have ever spent on the Internet, and what were you doing in that time?
    Probably my waking hours of a day, and blast if I remember.

2 comments:

  1. Highly dubious questions - also not based on any known pattern of research for autism. Cannot establish if it is ethically approved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because it's just a bunch of Autistics being silly/doing a "get to know the blogger" kind of thing. It's not meant to be rigorous or anything like that.

      Delete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.