Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

So Many Papers

I am not even joking. I have more papers now than I really know what to do with.
By that I mean that when Springer made a pile of journals available freely for the month of December (either they haven't actually closed it yet or they use the date your computer thinks it is, since I can still get in) I got:
  • All 42 years of the Journal of Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, including prior names.
  • The entirety of "Molecular Autism," which is actually open access, so you can get that too.
  • Nearly 100 papers from the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
  • Similarly many papers from European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • A reasonable pile of autism papers from other sources.
  • Some nanotechnology and chemistry papers too.
That means that I get to be an autism expert by way of reading lots of papers in addition to being one by having spent my entire life living in an Autistic brain. (Hey, if you lot get to say you're living in your brains, which philosophers claim on a fairly regular basis, I get to say it too.)
I get to read the stuff that Lovass wrote in order to rip it to pieces, too, which is good because I would never have paid for it. I get some papers that Kanner wrote, too, and I remember liking at least some of the ideas I remember him having. At the least, it will be interesting to see what he wrote, since he was one of the first to talk about us as a group. 
Neurotypical autism experts have nothing on me- I can perseverate much better than they can. No matter how many times they try to pathologize that trait, the fact remains that it is a useful one, and it will let me know even more than they do, given access to the same resources and some time. 
Neurotypical autism experts- be prepared. I already knew more about autism than psychologists who had specialized in something other than autism, and these papers are one more step towards catching up with you. You know I will, and that I won't be the only Autistic who does so. We're coming, and if you can't stop being ableist towards us on your own, we'll just have to take the domain of autism research away from you and fix it ourselves.

2 comments:

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.