Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Misrepresentation

Lydia of Autistic Hoya has written about misrepresentation before, and she got cited. Getting cited is great, but here is the irony: she got misrepresented in an article about misrepresentation. Here is the offending post: (Clicking the picture will bring you to the post, which will allow the use of screen-readers.)

And here is the problem- well, at least some of the problems. That screenshot is from 11:39pm, EST, 11/26/2012. At 11:42pm, this comment was still awaiting moderation on the site, which is odd considering that most people who moderate comments... actually moderate comments? There are still no published comments several days later, and I know I'm not the only one who attempted to correct this misinformation. My comment:

It reads:
Alyssa says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
NOVEMBER 24, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

Uh... you kind of misrepresented one in your article about misrepresentation (accidentally, I'm sure.)
Her name is Lydia, not Linda, the blog is Autistic Hoya, not Autism Hoya, and she specifically states that she wishes to be called an Autistic person, not a person with autism on her blog, which she is the sole writer of, not a co-founder. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, what with the information right here for you.

Two days later, and there is no fix and no response. I know all the information I provided is accurate for a few reasons:
  1. I know Lydia, including the knowledge that her name is, in fact, Lydia. It also says this at the bottom of the page in the copyright notice.
  2. Her blogs sidebar says that she wants to be called an Autistic person, not a person with autism. It even links three posts she wrote talking about why.
  3. Looking at the blog, it's called Autistic Hoya.
Basically, an autistic person is being misrepresented while her work is used in an article about misrepresentation. Sound ironic? It should. Sound familiar? It reminds me of the Kassiane having her work on self-determination used by Autism Speaks without them asking her first, ignoring her self-determination. Autistic people do seem to get this sort of irony in our lives, don't we? (That doesn't make it OK.)

EDIT: The post about misrepresentation has been deleted, so Lydia isn't getting misrepresented there anymore, at the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.